Sunday 13 March 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #9

This week in class, we got the opportunity to explore the tool VoiceThread. At first glance, the tool took some time to understand, but after going through it, I realized how great of a tool it is.  One functionality that I really appreciated from VoiceThread is the fact that you can add a verbal comment to your slideshows. I found this function really useful as I am always a believer that being told something is always better than reading something. For example, many of us read our textbooks before class and then go to class where the lecturer overviews the material and further clarifies it. I find going to class always makes things make more sense and I feel that VoiceThread gives users the similar experience.  I believe VoiceThread is a great tool for academic purposes. As iterated above it can help you reinforce your knowledge by providing a verbal component in your readings.  I also like the fact that you can add your own verbal comments, so if you revisit the material you can remember your train of thought more easily by rehearing your comment.
In terms of adding VoiceThread into my PLE, I would add it as a learning tool. As mentioned above, I believe that it helps you learn the material in a way that may help some users. I am a bit hesitant to add VoiceThread as I am more of a visual learner. I do believe that hearing something is better than reading, but for me visually drawing out the concept helps me a lot. This functionality of visual representing concepts is not a part of VoiceThread, hence the reason why I am a bit hesitant of adding it into my PLE. Overall, I do believe that VoiceThread does provide some benefits for me hence the reason why I will be adding it into my PLE.
This week in Feedly, I found am awesome article called “YouTube Stars will soon be able to win Emmy Awards”. I found this article really great as I am happy that YouTube Stars are finally getting more mainstream attention. YouTube has become such a huge source of entertainment for everyone, and why not give the recognition for those who create content within it? For me I really appreciate this website and I just can’t imagine without it.  It has provided me entertainment that I feel no other websites can provide and I am happy that YouTube stars will now have even more incentive to create better content.
I feel that every week in class I am becoming a greater digital citizen. Prior to starting this course, I was really uncertain about what it meant to be a digital citizen or even what were my digital rights and responsibilities. Tools such as VoiceThreads, Twitter, Feedly, etc., have not just made me more digitally aware, but also have provided me tools that I will defiantly use going forward. I am grateful for this course and I look forward to what the remaining weeks have in store.
Photo 1: http://www.educationalappstore.com/images/upload/mzl.luwfxucu.png

No comments:

Post a Comment